This hat is great, and fits well since it is knit entirely in a cabled stitch. The head circumference is more of a ballpark figure in the sense that this hat will stretch quite a bit.
- Caron Simply Soft (or any yarn with 4.5 stitches per inch)
- Size 6 and 7 16″ circular needles
- Size 7 double pointed needles (dpn)
- Stitch markers
- Cable stitch holder
- Yarn needle
Sizes: 19″ (16 1/2″, 21 1/2″)
- Cast on 96 (84, 108) stitches
- Repeat chart all the way around until piece measures 5 (4, 6) inches from the bottom. (Chart below)
- Begin decreasing on a row which you will NOT be cabling. You will also continue to knit in pattern throughout decreasing.
- 1st decrease row: *Knit 10 in pattern, Knit 2 together, place stitch marker* repeat until end of row.
- 2nd row decrease: knit entire row in pattern.
- Repeat 1 decrease row and 1 row knit in pattern, with each subsequent decrease row like this: *knit in pattern until 2 stitches remain before a stitch marker, knit those 2 stitches together* repeat.
- Repeat until only 8 (7, 9) stitches remain, switching to dpn when comfortable.
- Cut 8 inch tail and thread tail into needle and through remaining stitches.
- Weave in ends.
Cable 4 Front means you place the first 2 stitches on a stitch holder or cable holder and bring them to the front of your work. You then knit the next 2 stitches, then pick up the stitches on the stitch holder and knit them.
Cable 4 Back means you place the first 2 stitches on a stitch holder or cable holder and bring them to the back of your work. You then knit the next 2 stitches, then pick up the stitches on the stitch holder and knit them.
Edited to add: I would LOVE to see any projects you create with this pattern! Feel free to join & share in my Flickr group: Your Lyanna Jean Designs.
Just a reminder, my patterns are for your personal use and enjoyment only. They have not been tested, so if you find an error feel free to let me know at email@example.com.