Helping Hands Mystery Quilt – The Start

The Helping Hands guild is doing a free mystery quilt this spring, and I decided to sign myself up.

What was I thinking, right?

New baby any day now, 4 kids and a husband to take care of on top of that alone is a lot.

Apparently I need a little excitement in my life, hahaha.

Monday of last week they gave out the instructions for the first part. We were instructed to pick out 3 fabrics: main (3 1/2 yds), accent (2 1/2 yds), and background (3 yds). The main fabric was to be the focal and medium, the accent fabric was to be dark, and the background to be light with high contrast to the other two.

I had just the fabric in mind (which is partly why I decided to sign up, trying to use up the stash pieces that I’ve had forever that were ‘meant to be used together for something great’). All I needed to get was the background color, and I knew exactly what I wanted to get. It was almost too good to be true, meant to be I tell ya.

Here they are:

The main fabric is a Marie Osmond print from Quilting Treasures 2007, I can’t find the name of it anywhere. The accent fabric is a chocolate with cream dots by Faye Burgos for Marcus Fabrics . The background fabric is Kona Celery. I think I’m officially in love with Kona solids! The main and accent fabric I got from Sauder’s in Lancaster in September 2010, 5 yards of both for only $1 per yard – SCORE! And of course I used my JoAnn’s coupon for the Kona, it’s miraculous that they carry it!

On Friday night, I was determined to cut all the pieces for the first part, and I succeeded! I even got all the strips sewn and pressed, ironing just may be a way to induce labor if done for long periods of time….

In bits and pieces I’ve cut up all the strips to the sections for each block. I have six of the twenty-eight 6 1/2 inch blocks done, but none of the twelve 3 1/2 inch by 12 1/2 inch rectangles done. All in all I’d say I’m about 2/3 the way through the whole first part. Since all the sections of each block are done, it really won’t take long to finish them up and press them. Hopefully I can get the rest done in the next few days, I would like to be done by this weekend so I can make a new diaper bag and so I can have some time to take some decent pictures of my progress and a few other projects I’ve got in the works!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s