Finished the Mystery Top

After having this quilt top as my ‘Lovely Year of Finishes’ goal for the last 3 months, I am SO happy to say that it’s done!!!

There was a border in the pattern, but I really like how it looks now.

I had debated doing a quilt-as-you-go (QAYG)¬†type method and quilting each block before putting them together. Ha! What was I even thinking?! That would’ve taken this project to the next level of UFO. I mean, seriously??

On the other hand, I would’ve been able to do a lot more detailed quilting if I did do QAYG. Oh well, I’m sure it will still turn out nicely.

Quilting and binding will be October’s goal, I think.

Still gotta figure out this month’s goal. I have a couple gifts that need to be made, and my first quilt retreat (AHHH! So excited!). In other words, I’m not sure I’ll get to a UFO this month.

What projects do you have lined up for this month?


Mystery Quilt Nightmare

Sadly, I have decided that Mystery Quilts are just not for me.

This cutting of 200 two-inch squares is for the birds.

I feel like I am doing the same exact thing over and over and over and over.

This pattern calls for about 96 – 1 1/2 in half square triangles, and about 100 rectangles with 2 inch squares sewn to both sides.

It’s killing me!

I am determined to finish this quilt top this month!! It has, sadly, been my goal for my UFO challenge for the last 3 months. 3 MONTHS! It’s like the weird family member that just keeps coming over, in my face. Geez.

This quilt just might get donated or gifted just so I won’t have to look at it anymore, for my own sanity’s sake….¬†

On a good note, I have been using my Featherweight for the piecing. It almost hums when it’s sewing. I love it, it’s almost endearing. That thing is like a tank too, pretty sturdy stuff. (sorry for the phone picture)

Do you have a Featherweight? What do you love about it? Any books you would recommend I get?

Helping Hands Mystery Quilt – Part 1

I actually finished the first part for this quilt the week before Mr. J was born, but haven’t really had blogging on the front burner since then. Can you tell?

Either way, here are my blocks for the first part of the Mystery Quilt:

There’s 18 total of the altered 9 patch blocks, 10 of the 4 patch blocks, and 12 of the long rectangular ones, for a whopping total of 40 blocks so far.

I think the blocks without the main fabric (the pink print) look kinda mint chocolate chip-y, don’t you? It didn’t even come into mind when I was picking the fabrics, but now that it reminds me of ice cream I think I like it even more (though I’m not really fond of that flavor unless it’s the Thin Mint one).

The organizer of this mystery was nice enough to email me the second part because I missed March’s guild meeting (I was still in the hospital with the baby). I have yet to get started on it, maybe I’ll blame my slacking on just having a baby because it’s a TON of small blocks with diagonals and HSTs (by a ton, I mean around 50 or so if I remember reading it correctly). Yikes.

I did really want to keep on top of this one so I didn’t ruin the surprise of the mystery. I could just keep the last part in an envelope until I finish all the other parts. We’ll see.

And, here’s a cute baby picture for good measure:

Helping Hands Mystery Quilt – The Start

The Helping Hands guild is doing a free mystery quilt this spring, and I decided to sign myself up.

What was I thinking, right?

New baby any day now, 4 kids and a husband to take care of on top of that alone is a lot.

Apparently I need a little excitement in my life, hahaha.

Monday of last week they gave out the instructions for the first part. We were instructed to pick out 3 fabrics: main (3 1/2 yds), accent (2 1/2 yds), and background (3 yds). The main fabric was to be the focal and medium, the accent fabric was to be dark, and the background to be light with high contrast to the other two.

I had just the fabric in mind (which is partly why I decided to sign up, trying to use up the stash pieces that I’ve had forever that were ‘meant to be used together for something great’). All I needed to get was the background color, and I knew exactly what I wanted to get. It was almost too good to be true, meant to be I tell ya.

Here they are:

The main fabric is a Marie Osmond print from Quilting Treasures 2007, I can’t find the name of it anywhere. The accent fabric is a chocolate with cream dots by Faye Burgos for Marcus Fabrics . The background fabric is Kona Celery. I think I’m officially in love with Kona solids! The main and accent fabric I got from Sauder’s in Lancaster in September 2010, 5 yards of both for only $1 per yard – SCORE! And of course I used my JoAnn’s coupon for the Kona, it’s miraculous that they carry it!

On Friday night, I was determined to cut all the pieces for the first part, and I succeeded! I even got all the strips sewn and pressed, ironing just may be a way to induce labor if done for long periods of time….

In bits and pieces I’ve cut up all the strips to the sections for each block. I have six of the twenty-eight 6 1/2 inch blocks done, but none of the twelve 3 1/2 inch by 12 1/2 inch rectangles done. All in all I’d say I’m about 2/3 the way through the whole first part. Since all the sections of each block are done, it really won’t take long to finish them up and press them. Hopefully I can get the rest done in the next few days, I would like to be done by this weekend so I can make a new diaper bag and so I can have some time to take some decent pictures of my progress and a few other projects I’ve got in the works!